IT’S ALL ABOUT THE MEAT
HOW MUCH MEAT?
- Free of plant protein concentrates, ACANA Free-Run Duck is loaded with 50% duck.
HOW MUCH FRESH MEAT?
- 1/2 of the duck in ACANA Singles is FRESH and 1/2 is dried. All is from duck deemed fit for human consumption.
HOW MANY MEATS?
ACANA Singles feature a single animal protein in WholePrey™ ratios of meat, organs and cartilage.
- Free-run duck – meat, giblets and cartilage from rural Ontario farms.
ONLY 3 SUPPLEMENTS
Unlike conventional dog foods, ACANA’s rich meat and WholePrey™ inclusions deliver essential nutrients naturally, eliminating the need for long lists of additives and supplements.
|Product Feature||Grain Free|
After researching the product and realising all the amazing benefits for my dogs as well as the environment, I could no longer deny. Best part, my animals love it! Eat every bowl quickly at feeding time leaving no old stale food for the ants.
Their coats are beautiful and they are full of energy. I'm so pleased I switched! (Posted on 12/05/2018)
The carbohydrate content, if compared to Orijen is high, but if compared to other commercial food it is lower than average. Although the carbohydrate content is higher than what we would prefer for a meat eating animal the carbohydrate sources used are steel-cut oats, peas and pears and not high glycaemic ones like corn and wheat. A salad of fruits, vegetables and botanicals (lavender, marigold, sweet fennel etc.) make up the other seventeen ingredients of pure goodness. Although it is not a hypoallergenic diet, it is a single animal protein diet only using Duck – therefore a good alternative for dogs with sensitivity to chicken.
Duck meal, deboned duck, steel-cut oats, peas, whole pears, whole potato, duck fat, duck
liver, sun-cured alfalfa, oat flakes, algae meal (source of DHA, EPA), pea fibre, whole apples, sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, spinach, cranberries,
blueberries, kelp, minerals, vitamins, chicory root, juniper berries, angelica root, marigold
flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, lavender.
1. Duck meal: This is an excellent ingredient. Firstly it is a named meat meal and in first position on the ingredient list, therefore the main ingredient – making this a meat based food. Duck is also classified as a novel protein. It is not often use in dog foods (because of availability and cost) and can be helpful in dogs with food allergies. Duck meal is also a concentrated protein and contains much more protein than fresh duck which will contain up to 80% water. It is also good to know that Acana only uses cage free ducks.
2. Deboned duck: So refreshing to see a meat ingredient in second place as well – this is unheard of in most commercial dog foods due to the high cost of meat proteins compared to grains.
3. Steel-cut oats: Or Irish oats. A good whole grain with a low glycaemic index made from the inner portion of the oat kernel. This is the least processed form of oats but nutritionally similar to rolled oats.
4. Peas: Good source of carbohydrate and preferred over grains as carbohydrate source. It contains 25 % plant protein and therefore contributes significantly to the overall protein level of this diet. It is not a complete protein lacking some of the amino acids commonly found in animal protein. This has led to some criticism from other reviewers (see above) but in our opinion being in position four on ingredient list not a reason for concern.
5. Whole pears: A nutrient rich source of carbohydrates.
6. Whole potato: Potato is a good source of energy and gluten free. It is of modest nutritional value to dogs.
7. Duck fat: Named animal fat – good source of omega 6. Dogs are very effective in using fat as energy source and do not develop heart related disease like humans when consuming animal fat.
8. Duck liver: Liver is a good organ meat source high in Vitamin A.
The rest of the ingredients make up a lovely salad of vegetables, fruits and botanicals filled with good nutrients.
Interesting to see the use of algae meal as a fish free marine source of omega 3. This is a good ingredient with DHA and EPA type omega 3 – the form which can be utilised by dogs. Being a single animal protein diet – Duck – it is good to see Acana opt for algae meal as the omega 3 source in place of fish to accommodate any dogs sensitive to fish. (Posted on 10/07/2014)
We offer FREE SHIPPING for all orders over R500 within the metro areas of Durban, Johannesburg, Pretoria and Cape Town.
Outside of these areas, the shipping cost you pay is dependent on your location and if you live in a regional area, it may depend on the size of your order. You will be notified of the final shipping cost to your area before you pay for your order so you can be 100% sure of what you are paying for with Pet Heaven.
Generally orders placed before 12:00pm on any weekday will be shipped the next day day as long as the item is in stock and ready to be dispatched.
Delivery to metro areas of Durban, Johannesburg and Cape Town takes place within 2 to 3 working days from time of dispatch.
For regional areas please allow a few extra days for the goods to reach you.
|DELIVERED FRESH EACH DAY ACANA Duck & Bartlett Pear features an unmatched variety of local ingredients that are raised by people we know and trust, passed fit for human consumption, and then delivered to our door fresh each day! Ingredients Duck meal, deboned duck*, green lentils, red lentils, duck liver*, pears*, duck fat, green peas, yellow peas, algae, garbanzo beans, pumpkin*, carrots*, freeze-dried duck liver, kelp, chicory root, ginger root, peppermint leaf, lemon balm, mixed tocopherols (preservative), dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product. *DELIVERED FRESH OR RAW Supplements: Only 1 The ultimate food mimics the one Mother Nature intended your dog to eat. ACANA Duck & Bartlett Pear is loaded with a full 50% of duck, including meat, liver and cartilage —all of which deliver nutrients naturally, dramatically reducing the need for synthetic ingredients in ACANA foods. That’s why Zinc Proteinate is the only supplement in ACANA Duck & Bartlett Pear.|